BLOCK 6 | Today, 08 May 1850 , a meeting was held in Russell Street for the election of Trustees for the construction of St Paul’s Church.
The Argus, 08 May 1850:
St Paul’s Church – We have been requested to remind those who are interested in the building of a church in the centre of this city, that there will be a meeting held today, at the Hall of the Total Abstinence Society, in Russell Street, at three o’clock in the afternoon, for the purpose of electing a Trustee or Trustees, and on other business. As the Act of Council provides that only those persons can vote who have subscribed one pound towards the erection of the church, a person authorised to receive subscriptions will be in attendance at the place of meeting half an hour previous to the time fixed for its commencement.
The first version of St Paul’s Cathedral was built on the North East corner of Flinders and Swanston Streets, Block 6. The site was originally reserved for a Court House but was used as a Hay and Corn Market until the Church was built.